Tuesday 12 October 2010

Alphabet soup two.

For this brief I had to design an alphabet that visually represented my partner.


As a starting point I mapped out all the things I found out about my partner that I thought were relevant and also certain characteristics I would like my font to have. I then looked up the meanings of the five words I chose to focus on that relate to my partner and also found some fonts I felt were appropriate.

Here I exploring various ideas I felt visually represented my partner, I used the fonts I had found previously and manipulated them to enhance them more. From this I could get a clear idea of which I preferred. 

This is further development of the ideas that I thought worked best. Here I was looking at if lower case, upper case, serif and sans serif worked best. I also explored colour a little bit to see what effect this had. I used my partners name to see how the overall idea was coming together. 



Final Piece. 

Name badge. 

After the crit I then re-worked my alphabet to come up with a better solution for the advice I had been given on my current final solution. 

These are a few alternative solutions that I came up with that still work around the same ideas that I had previously. From this I was able to choose one idea that I thought was more successful than my original.

I feel this is more successful than the original idea because it looks more sophisticated and I have moved away from this whole 'cartoony' look that came through my other idea for no particular reason. I've still kept the feature of 'bold' to show his personality but i've also chipped into the letters to represent the insecurity that is also part of him. 

I also tried the same technique but with lower case, I don't find this as successful because it doesn't represent this idea of a bold personality as well as upper case does and I don't find the overall impact strong enough. The 'ABC' at the bottom of the page is another way I could present the alphabet using the same ideas but I prefer the first 'reworked' idea. 










No comments:

Post a Comment