Wednesday 5 December 2012

Final crit.


The boards I took with me to the crit to get feedback on so I could then finalise them. 




This was the final crit in which I presented my 'final' boards. Although the boards were complete for all my briefs and with text too I knew I still needed some feedback because more can always be done to improve something. I also needed people that knew nothing about my projects to look at my boards to see if they spoke for themselves and told the story well enough. A lot of the feedback is really positive which is great because it means i'm getting better at creating design boards. Many people mentioned having things in context so this is definitely something i'm going to alter within some of my boards because I haven't done this at all. People also gave me a few ideas of other elements to place on the boards in order to enhance certain things such as, the typefaces - make one letter larger to see the detail better. I put out a few physical products at this crit but most of them have been made for the purpose of photographs so in a way I wish they had all been made to be submitted as people seemed really keen to see them based on the photographs they'd seen. All in all a great crit and now I need to go make a few changes to boards. 


This is my action plan of things to do before I print my boards and also leading up to the submission. All these things are based on crit feedback. 

I realised I've not really defined my target audiences on my blog yet, they've always been in my head when i've been designing things and right from the very beginning of my briefs so here they are. 

Target audiences:

Black and white print 
Stationery: females aged 16 - 30
Gift range: 16 - 45

The reason for this decision is because I feel that Paperchase targets the 'younger' generation in the style of it's products and the fact it's quite a modern company. There are two seperate target audiences because only females are likely to buy the stationery range (with only the exception of males possibly buying them for gifts) and both male and female will purchase the gift range because it's not for them but to pass onto someone else. The target audience for the gift range is also slightly larger because they would definitely be buying these products for someone else and may go to Paperchase for the quality and design to suit a younger age range. I think when you get past a certain age you tend to go more for affordability too and Paperchase tends to be more so expensive hense this very defined audience. 

The Wind in the Willows
Parents and children aged 11 - 15

The reason for this decision is because the original brief states that the bookcover not only has to appeal to children but also to the parents so the parents may buy the book for their child. I went for this particular age range because I feel it's best suited to the type of story and the content of the story. When a child becomes 16 they tend to be reading more mature books about fictional human characters and not animals but when children are 10 penguin books may be a little too mature for them. 

Illustrative type
Male and females interested in film

The reason for this decision is because you can't really apply a specific age range to films, although they have a particular target audience induvidually I can't list off all of these target audiences because the point of a target audience is to focus. This target audience is to be applied to the company as a whole but when I am designing each induvidual typeface they will obviously have their own specific audience that I will be designing to, to suit so this will always be in the back of my mind. 

Coca-Cola 
Supermarket shoppers

This is another brief that can't really be specified by age because the target market of Coca-Cola as a company is anyone and everyone really. I therefor chose a target audience based on where I feel the majority of the sales would be made and also based on research i've done where I've found the current Jean Paul Gaultier bottles in supermarkets. This is also the best way to target a broad range of people because everyone needs to go to the supermarket. I did consider having the bottles in shops such as Harvey Nichols because they are limited edition but this means that only specific people will buy them and this isn't the concept of the brief nor the technique of the company. 








No comments:

Post a Comment