Thursday 19 May 2011

Lorenzo's type and grid workshop.


Cheaper magazine.


High end magazine. 


For this task we had to take two similar magazine articles out of a high end magazine and also a cheaper one, so I chose to base mine on celebrities. We then had to create new layouts for only one of the articles and there had to be the safe 'high end' layouts and the more crazy experimental looking ones. I started off with the Katy Perry article but felt that the content of this was not suitable for a double page spread as in the magazine it was across three pages. I then moved onto the J-Lo article because the content was better to work with over two pages. In my layouts I tried to create the hierarchy of elements by using colour and bolder pens, so the orange areas would be a question. Overall I feel that my 'crazy' layouts weren't as experimental as they could have been because I generally like things neat and tidy so automatically stuck to this style. I also feel that I could have made the style of text I planned on using a bit more obvious to add to the hierarchy and also give a better idea of what I was trying to achieve. When I started doing the layouts I was using a three column grid but then it was suggested I try a larger number of columns, this did help me experiment more in a sense. I can take what i've learnt from this and in corporate it into my indesign layout that i'm currently working on as I feel that at the moment it's looking a bit bland and could use some of the techniques i've learnt here. 

This was the grid I used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment