Thursday 24 May 2012

End of module self-evaluation.


  1. What skills have you developed throughout this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? 
For the second half of the module, I have developed the ability to write my own brief. This has been applied effectively and can be seen throughout the development of my project because without this brief, I wouldn’t have created the work and outcomes that I have. I have also developed the ability to be able to create a range of products based on initially just one product. This has also been applied effectively because my final products are all part of a range that are based on just one magazine initially. I have developed the ability to create things for proposal because if I had actually printed my whole range I would have had at least 50 pieces so it made more sense to propose certain elements. This has been applied effectively because i’ve actually applied some of these proposed elements in context therefor emphasizing what they actually are. I feel that my people skills have also developed throughout the module through both the YCN brief and the Little White Lies because i’ve taken on board a lot of suggestions i’ve had in order to come out with the best possible final outcomes. 

What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? 
I have developed the ability to mock elements up for photographs so instead of them being completely perfect, they are satisfactory enough to work for photographs. This has informed my design development process because it means I can propose something would be a certain size rather than actually printing it that size. It also means I can spend more time working on other elements and not waste time making something completely perfect when it doesn’t have to be. I have also developed the ability to use whats already existing if it is relevant to my project. For example, I made the most of Little White Lies existing logo and tailored it to suit what I was already doing. This has informed my design development in the sense that I didn’t spend too long playing around with the logo and it meant I had more focus on the actual products. 

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these? 
With the YCN brief I feel that my time management has been a strength throughout my work because I felt really motivated to get on with things as I would not only but letting myself down otherwise but also someone else. As a whole I feel that the ability to try new things is a strength throughout my work because I have created products that I’ve never designed before and I’ve also tried new approaches to design such as laser cutting. This whole module has been a definite confidence boost and I feel as though I want to continue to try new things. To capitalize on these I will just make sure I apply them to everything I do in future and do the best I can to make it even better. 

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in future? 
Within the second part of the module I feel that design development has been a weakness because I haven’t really pushed the development of my products, I’ve made quick decisions and just moved on. In future I feel that I need to get designing/developing as soon as possible rather than dwelling on my concept too much once I know this is at a stage I can work with it. If i’d have spent more time on the development stage there is a chance that the final outcomes could be even better. 

Identify five things you will do differently next time and what you expect to gain from doing these? 
Begin designing sooner; the development will not be lacking and it won’t feel like such a rush to get things done. 
Blog as I go; this is something I really need to get back up to standard. Again, it won’t feel like such a rushed process if I keep on top of it and I won’t miss anything important. 
Get more peer feedback out of crits; although I have done this more so than usual I need to capitalize on this even further because i’ve learnt how useful this can be. 
Spend more time researching; I may find something really useful that could be very informative for my design development. 
Better time management; more products can be produced if I manage my time therefor making my range even greater. 
6. How would you grade yourself in the following areas: 
Attendence 5
Punctuality 5  
Motivation 4
Commitment 4
Quantity of work produced 4
Quality of work produced 4
Contribution to the group 3
(1 being poor and 5 being excellent)

No comments:

Post a Comment