Sunday 5 February 2012

Top 10 things; FINAL SEQUENCES & POST PRODUCTION STORYBOARDS.


Final batman sequence: This is one of my favourite final sequences. I think the fact that you can make a connection between batman and the sequence straight away without even seeing this character works really well because it means that my idea is communicating from beginning to end. Two main factors that help make this connection is the soundtrack I have used because this is a well known batman soundtrack and also the colour scheme. This sequence is also successful because there is constantly something happening within it which is more likely to keep the audience interested. Initially when I was experimenting with the text for this, I wanted it to fade out completely near the end of the sequence but I actually think the fact the sequence ends with a variation of transparencies on screen works really well because they complement each other. I also feel that because it stays on the screen but ever so lightly it means that the audience won't miss the relevent information and it may hopefully stick in their mind. The fact the image of batman comes in quite quickly is another good feature because its as though he is responding to the light 'call' at great speed and saving the day as fast as possible. 


Final Catwoman sequence: With this sequence I had to think more creatively about the concept because catwoman doesn't have a specific trait as such like superman flys etc. I decided that working with the fact she is a 'cat' would make for quite a good sequence because the movement could represent that of a cat which then means I'd need to locate a specific type of music to compliment this movement. So one decision informs the other and together the two could work really well. A trait for superheroes is the fact they are very careful about coming on to a scene so the fact the E4 logo 'checks' the frame before it enters links well with this idea. The scratches that come across the logo are another good trait that a cat has and make this superhero seem like a threat. The one thing that overall makes this sequence so successful is the soundtrack because its one in which I imagine something to be creeping about in the shadows like superheroes often do and it has a quite a creepy element to it so creates suspense. This sequence is quite slow but this pace fits really well with the soundtrack I have chosen.


Final spiderman sequence: There was an obvious movement I wanted to potray within this sequence based on the fact spiderman gets around via a web that he swings from. The fact he randomly swings in from one side of the frame works really well because this is a specific trait spiderman has in which he appears from no where to make his 'victims' jump. I intially experimented with making the logo swing in from the left hand side but if i'd have stuck with this idea the sequence would have been quite boring because it would have consisted of this one main swinging element. The logo scales up at a good time because its fitting with the timing of the soundtrack so it makes it seem like the change in soundtrack is an indication that something else is about to happen and then the programme information coming in after this also has a similar impact. The swinging technique within this sequence didn't really take too long to get to some stage that I was satisfied with because it was a recent technique i'd just learnt in one of the software workshops and I was really pleased I was getting to put it into practice straight away because it meant I was more likely to remember it for future reference. 



Final superman sequence: This is my favourite sequence out of all the ones I have created because although the ideas seemed quite obvious, I had quite a lot of fun creating it because I experimented more so with this sequence than any other. This was because it was one of the first sequences I created so I was still getting to grips with how the software worked in terms of making my artwork move. Although the actual motion path of the artwork is quite simplistic the two elements that make this whole sequence are the E4 logo and the soundtrack I have used. The logo is a significant part of this sequence because its a huge indicator of the superhero featured within the ident and the contrast between the background and this logo makes the sequence seem all the more interesting. I intially used a different soudtrack but after advice from a crit to use music with 'trumpets' included i'm really glad I decided to change this. The soundtrack included within this sequence has a much higher impact and gives superman this big enterance he is well known for. The soundtrack is also within keeping of the timing of the sequence quite conveniently without me having to change any of the keyframes placed for the previous soundtrack. 



Final 60 second sequence: Although I think my title sequence is really simple I think this is what makes it effective because it shows that I have understood elements that I have learnt within workshops and makes for easy watching overall. One of the first things I did when I started creating this sequence was listen to my soundtrack through to the end of the one minute, adding in tags along my timeline to show where there was a specific beat within the track. By doing this it would give me an idea of where I should introduce my imagery so that it fit with the timing of the soundtrack when both are played through together. I decided to use just the silohettes and logos of the superheroes throughout this sequence because I felt they held enough information on their own and introducing any form of information via text would detur from the impact they could have meaning they wouldn't fullfill their potential. Using a different colour background for each transition that linked to the superhero was another element that would make the sequence particular interesting because it meant that each transition would be unique and keep the audience interested. Having the backgrounds move from left to right links to the idea that when you read and comic book you read from left to right and this is successful because the whole sequence is based upon a comic book asthetic. Although the ending of the sequence seems quite plain, I feel this is something that kept the sequence within reach of its target audience because if it played around with it too much or made it too fancy in terms of a variation of fonts this is something that could have began to make it look more childlike. The font itself reminds me a comic book asthetic because its exaggerated and reflects a certain style but having it as just plain black text adds a level of sophistication overall.


I feel the comic book asthetic I have given to all of my sequences doesn't draw them away from their target audience because superheroes originally came from comic books and cartoons so this idea is just taking it back to where it began. These sorts of programmes are usually quite light hearted so this also made it seem appropriate as well as the type of channel i'd chosen. The fact my sequences are quite casual works well because it fits the asthetic of the E4 television channel.





I decided to create post production storyboards for all of my sequences because I felt this could maybe help me understand what has actually gone into each sequence. I took 15 screenshots for all of my idents as I felt this was a significant amount to understand the movement happening with the sequences from start to finish. Due to the fact the title sequence was longer, I couldn't really estimate how many screenshots I would need for this so instead I decided to take one where I thought there was a signifcant change within the sequence. Creating these storyboards has been quite interesting because I could put them alongside the pre production storyboards I created and look at how closely I have matched some of the movement I had within my intial ideas. It will also show me what changes have occured since I created these original storyboards. They have also made me realise that my final title sequence isn't quite as simplistic as I thought because when things are slowed down you actually realise that there is a lot more happening than you intially thought and a lot more techniques happening at the same time than you give yourself credit for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment