Friday 10 February 2012

Image; Book works.



Breakdown of what i'm going to do for this brief. 

As a starting point for this brief I researched 'blue' characters on the internet, some of which I was already familiar with but just to give me an idea of whether I had missed any or not. I then chose my favourite blue characters and drew them by hand so they could be taken onto the computer to be printed digitally. I tried to go with more familiar characters that people are likely to have heard of. 






I decided that I wanted to produce all my imagery using watercolours because this is something I haven't really done before and I thought it would create a nice effect. I printed all my hand drawings onto card as I felt this would work best with the watercolours. I really like the whole hand rendered look each of these images have because it makes it obvious a lot of time and attention has gone in to creating these. I then decided I could use the fact my images were hand drawn to my advantage and created this pencil line and drawing that could be used in the background to go through the whole of the book. The variety of blues used for each of the characters will make the book visually interesting. 


Intially I was going to have my book as a whole consetina fold out section that could be placed up on the wall. Due to the nature of the stock i'd chosen (watercolour paper) this wasn't going to work because I was going to fold the stock in half so it would have images on either side but if it was folded too much the stock began to crack a bit. I then decided to have two seperate consetinas which could still be seen as a book because they would fold out. I created this little envelope to put them in and protect them using tracing paper so it could hint at the content within. To keep all of this together I then created a belly band and decided to name my book 'the little book of blue' because true to its name the book is little and contains everything blue! 




The final illustrations were taken into illustrator and put in place. They still work well once printed out and there is nothing taken away from this hand rendered look. I intially experimented with a white background but feel having blue on blue still works and makes it look a little less plain. 

Although I didn't sell any of the books, i'm pleased with this project because I enjoyed illustrating it and putting it together. I feel maybe the correct target audience was not found at the book fair. 








No comments:

Post a Comment