Friday 5 October 2012

Workshop one.

The first workshop was thinking about what we want to do this year and what we need to do. We compiled lists for five different areas. 

Skills to develop

WANT
- Illustrative type
- Branding
- Collaboration
- Illustration
- Book binding 
- Screen printing
- Print processes 
- Big ideas 
- Communication with tutors 
- Industrial experience 
- Industrial contacts 
- Thinking outside the box
- Working with people from other courses
- Layout: books//presentations
- Overall design skills 
- Blogging
- Basic type understanding 
- Hand rendering 
- Digital rendering 
- Time management 

NEED 
- Design for screen
- Software
- Confidence when presenting 
- Research
- Writing
- Keeping up to date with blogging 
- Experiment 
- Work out of my comfort zone
- Full Fill everything i'll say i'll do
- Confidence
- Web design
- Indesign
- Illustrator
- Ask tutors if im unsure about something
- Relationship between type and image
- Visually interesting presentation
- Reading 
- Feedback to others
- Make the most of facilties 
- Design for an audience, not myself
- Confidence when talking to professionals

Products

WANT
- Hardback books
- Professional print
- Book covers
- Illustration on products for a purpose 
- Publication design through to printing
- Fully intergrated campaign
- Handmade books
- Retail
- Design for a range
- Experimental//not yet tried
- Competitions
- Live briefs
- Solid product eg. bottle
- Textiles 
- Cards
- 'Freelance' prints etc. 
- Personal online presence 
- Range of stock
- Branding for someone else
- Yearbook

NEED
- Website design
- Product multiple products for briefs
- Basic understanding of coding for websites
- Personal website 
- Creative CV
- Tactile//interesting print
- Mailout for studios 
- Professionally printed 
- Easy to duplicate for client
- Design for a purpose
- Professional portfolio
- Branding on my blog
- Packaging 
- Informative
- Photography
- Posters
- Hand rendered type
- Existing brand promotion
- Screen//digital based 

Questions

WANT
- Where do I want to be? 
- Who is my favourite illustrator?
- Do I want to aim my design at a particular audience?
- What do I need to do to get my branding skills on parr with illustration?
- What is my favourite typeface?
- Are there any useful websites i've not yet used?
- Are there any events I could visit for inspiration?
- Is there a better market for hand rendered design or digital?
- Which is the best way to promote myself?
- Who do I want to illustrate for?
- Are there any events I could take part in?
- Are my designs 'current' enough?
- What do I want out of a career? 
- How realistic is it for me to be Leeds based when I graduate? 
- Do I have a unique illustrative style? 
- What can I do to be different?
- Would setting up Etsy benefit me? 
- Will I be confident in myself and my design by the end of the course? 
- What is seen as 'popular' now? 
- Will anyone want to collaborate cross course? 

NEED
- Is there anything I should focus on that I don't enough?
- Are my briefs going to fully exploit my capabilties? 
- Is there anyone else in the college who wants to collaborate with me? 
- What studio environment am I better suited to? 
- Do I want to work with a large or small company? 
- Do I want to freelance as well as have a job? 
- What do I want out of graphic design? 
- Am I good enough to full fill my aspirations?
- Are my skills stronger with illustration or branding? 
- What style of branding do I like? 
- Do I want to create work for popular brands? 
- What is my favourite branding studio? 
- Can I get a job that requires both of my skills? 
- How do you approach printers?
- Is there a particular place to find work? 
- Do I NEED to have a work placement? 
- What is design like in other countries? 
- Can I work comfortably with design for screen?
- What do I need to do to full fill my design potential? 
- How much would I initially charge for freelance? 

Research

WANT
- Print processes 
- Current and past illustration
- Book binding 
- Printers to work with
- People to collaborate with
- 'What is illustration?' 
- The basics of typography 
- General graphic design interests
- Current graphic design
- Designers/studios of interest
- Competitors 
- Live briefs
- Gallery visits for inspiration
- New places to visit
- Print visit
- Where do I want to be based as a designer? 
- Culture and how it relates to design
- Superbrands: history
- Branding
- Media that best suits my illustration

NEED
- Further industrial contacts
- Whats happening now in design
- Dissertation: Coca-Cola, branding, advertising, theories, questions to ask
- Things going on that I can visit
- Opportunities that will give me experience
- Places i'd feel comfortable for work (cities) 
- Branding studios
- Is there a market for my style of work? 
- Ask more freelancers questions
- Television adverts (branding) 
- Etsy//pros and cons
- Past student work for standard to work to
- Designers
- Studios
- Competitors 

Portfolio

WANT
- Things//subjects I enjoy
- Professional
- Organised
- Bright/bold work
- Largely print based work
- Something that reflects me
- A range of briefs
- Something I can be proud of
- Suitable for interview
- Professional photographs
- Self branding
- Approval of tutors//other professionals
- Well considered layout 
- High print quality
- Showcase skills
- To be admired
- Unique 
- Industry standard 
- Summary of third year 
- Collaborative projects

NEED
- Subjects that showcase a range of skills
- Full of work
- Work with a range of processes 
- Professional layout and photographs
- Some screen based work to show further skills
- A range of colour throughout
- My design interests
- Professional layout
- Personal style
- Draw attention
- Stand out
- Meet assessment requirements
- Feedback
- Exciting
- Well considered order
- Clean//edgy
- Relevent to areas of design I like
- Strongest work
- Aspirations
- Something i'll treasure

No comments:

Post a Comment