Friday 11 November 2011

Good is... digital packaging ideas.





With the packaging I started with the idea that depending on which ipod you bought you'd get that colour ipod on the front of the packaging, just because generally this makes sense. The net of the ipod is based on the packaging I got when I purchased my own ipod classic because I really liked the fact so much could be compact into a small box and it doesn't feel like wasted packaging. The first idea was really uniform and I felt this looked too plain so I started looking again at this idea of tilting the ipod on it's side like they are in the poster designs. When I originally started thinking about the packaging I was just going to have a big window so that the consumer would be able to see the ipod within the box and there would be no need for the imagery but then I came up with the idea that the ipod image could be placed within the lid of the box so that the 'screen' area could be cut out and made into a window. The second idea seems a lot better because the packaging will look a lot more exciting and possibly not as tacky as with just a window would, as I want to keep this high quality finish idea that Apple had with their box packaging. 



I printed an example of what I mean by using the screen as a window to give a better idea of what it would actually look like. 





























Once I was happy that this packaging design was the correct measurements and fit together properly I could begin experimenting with the layout. The few designs where I have explored the idea of using the logo on the screen would work on some levels because it does appear on the iPod screen but the idea of this window is more so that the consumer can see the iPod through the clear section. I also feel that keeping everything 'mirrored' makes the design look a bit too uniform and maybe not modern enough because modern design tends to be a bit more 'out there' and breaks the rules. In a way I was faced with the dilemma of fitting the name of the product and logo in a small space on the front of the box because I felt this was the most practical place to put it as it wouldn't be missed then. Having the iPod on it's side may have caused this issue in a sense but I felt this was necessary because it fits with the style of the posters I have created. Some of my favourite designs are the ones where everything is centralised, I think the main reason being is that the eye is drawn down the product and then to the text so it seems to make more sense as a layout. I am also yet to include the relevant information on the back to do with what would come inside the packaging and what is required for the iPod to work to it's full potential. There's also the matter of adding barcodes because this will make the product seem more real. 



I added the relevant barcodes and symbols to my packaging in order to make it look more like it would if it was real. I then mocked up a few 'final' ideas of which I was happy with to the correct sizes. The first packaging I created was slightly different to uniform packaging design with the fact that the lid was smaller than the base so fit together slightly different. This didn't have any real purpose other than to be a bit more experimental. I hadn't really considered the fact the image of the iPod wraps slightly around the lid and when the packaging is put together with the lid in you can't see this. It also may prove more difficult to fit everything back in the box as it would have to be placed perfectly. So I decided to stick with the uniform packaging design and try and make it a little more exciting through my illustration. I went for the idea of placing acetate inside the box so the screen looks a bit like a window, this is to tease the consumer in a sense because they can only see a small portion of the product but also because it makes my packaging a bit more experimental. It was then suggested I try the same technique on the scroll wheel of the iPod but this isn't as successful because it may give a false idea that the wheel is see-through and when the product is placed inside the box you wouldn't see any exciting part in particular of it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment