Friday 11 November 2011

Good is... digital paper bag design.









The paper bag came about during a crit through discussion because it could be another well executed printed piece to add to my campaign. As this was a thought once i'd really got into my project I didn't feel the need for any drawings to begin my development because I could use the ideas that had come through my current designs and link them in so the whole thing works as a campaign. The few bags where I have tried to include all the different colour bags are least successful because they don't necessarily have to be there to show what the product looks like. They take away this idea of clean, crisp design and look a little bit too crowded. My initial idea was to create a high quality paper bag with strings but as I got more into the design I came up with the idea of using the actual screen as a feature like I did with the packaging. The idea of some of the later designs is that the screen of the iPod on both sides of the bag would be cut out to create a handle and it doesn't make the image of the iPod any harder to distinguish. In a way I faced the same problem here as I did with the packaging, little room to place my text due to the size of the iPod and the general bag layout. I think the one that seems most successful is that, that is very similar to the packaging design which is the last design of the ones seen above. Although this looks best i'm still not entirely happy with it because the text and logo being off centre doesn't seem quite right. 


I chose my favourite bag design so far and decided to print a scaled down version of this because you don't know exactly how you'll interact with something when its seen on a screen or even how the layout will look in context. It was mainly to test the idea that the handle would be the cut out screen section and checking to see if there was enough space left between the top of the bag and top of the iPod so that it wouldn't just tear. Although you couldn't hold this properly because it was too small I could see that the idea is very likely to work on a larger scale and would like quite clever when held. 

No comments:

Post a Comment