Thursday 17 November 2011

Good is... revised final pieces.

All final pieces have been created using Pantone colours from the Pantone solid colour book. 

When it came to the final crit I made a few of the changes I had time for that were given to me within the feedback. These changes were, changing the background to black, making the iPods have an actual screen image and including some sort of reason as to why my product is being launched. I would still apply the same special finishes and use the same stock as I proposed with my original final pieces (cartridge paper) apart from one slight change to the bag design because I altered the back of it. 




The posters would be printed on cartridge paper and have a matt varnish applied to them so that they seem a bit more high quality yet not too much as they won't really be interacted with in the sense that you touch them. I have added actual screens to the iPods using a screen layout for the iPod that I found on google images, to make this a bit less uniform I have changed the hue/saturation of each of the screens to match that of the iPod colour. I feel they look a lot more real with this screen added because the consumer will be able to imagine more what it would look like in real life and how you can interact with it. It also shows that the iPod is actually a full colour version like they are currently. I've also added a tag line to my poster of "celebrating 10 years of the iPod" since creating the particular design above because I needed more reasoning as to why I was launching this iPod and they have actually been around for ten years so the launch of a new one can mark this occasion. The black background works really well with the iPod imagery because it looks a little more sophisticated and the colours stand off from this really clearly.  


The change made to this particular product was using the back of the bag to place the back of the iPod on. This solved the issue I was having of where best to place the text in a way that suited the rest of the layout. The logo and text work really well on the back of the iPod because this information is typically found on the back of an actual iPod anyway and it means it doesn't look as though i'm trying to fit too much information on to the front of the bag. The back of the bag where the iPod back design is would be foil blocked and this is because the back of an actual iPod is shiny metal so it will make it more obvious why I decided to place this information here. Using foil blocking will also give the bag a high quality, sophisticated looking finish that something described as 'limited edition' should have. The front of the iPod on the bag would still be spot varnished as I proposed previously to make this area seem almost real too and the bag would be die cut once the design was printed. 


The black background has also benefited the barcodes and other symbols I placed on the back of my packaging because they now blend in instead of being these block sections. The background has also benefited the actual iPod design because as with the posters the colours on the iPod imagery become quite bold and vibrant. The imagery on the front of the packaging would still be spot varnished as I proposed previously and the text would be foil blocked to continue with this idea of high quality, limited edition packaging. Also as proposed previously the packaging would be die cut once printed, scoring along edges that need to be folded and cutting the shape out of the stock and then hand made up. 


The only product I didn't change as such in terms of the colour scheme was the iPod evolution poster. My reason for keeping this the same was because when I applied a black background it seemed as though there was far too much black on the page and it was quite over-whelming. The information also became not necessarily as easy to interpret because the design didn't seem as easy to look at it, it was too harsh on the eye and it's really important that it captures the attention of the audience. I had however, originally stated that I want to keep this design as simplistic as possible and using a minimalistic approach is the best way to do this. I would still apply a spot varnish to the apple and the paths in order for them to stand out and capture the audiences attention with the glint they are likely to have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment