Sunday 6 November 2011

Good is... product design ideas.



Posters to advertise the launch of the ipod retro including memory and hours of playback. 


The booklet would include an image of each ipod and a little bit of information about them such as when it came out, the memory capacity and hours of playback. 


Imagery for the ipod evolution poster. 


This particular idea needs a little more explaining, here I want to include the whole evolution of the ipod from when it began to the ipod I am currently designing myself. The idea is that I create a timeline but not in the usual uniform style, a straight line, but in something a little more creative and visually interesting as shown above. I would include each ipod in order along the timeline and a little bit of information about them such as when it came out. It was suggested that I could look into the circuit board of an ipod and maybe use a similar layout for my design. 


Design of the new ipod I would like to launch. 
I've based the design of this ipod on the original 3rd generation ipod classic because when I asked people which they would most like to see they said this one and also because I thought it had quite a retro look already with having the four buttons on it. It was also quite a good option because it's one of the very original ipods. 

As a starting point for my designs I hand drew all the products I have proposed in my rationale, this was so that when it came to creating my work digitally I had something to work with and it wouldn't take me as long to come up with creative ideas. I added colour to some of my sheets to show a better explanation of what it is I am trying to achieve. My proposed items are a poster of the evolution, a booklet, a series of advertisement posters and packaging for the ipod. I want to keep these items uniform so they all fit together and can be recognised as part of the same campaign. Originally I was going to hand draw all of my illustrations of the ipod but as seen on the sheet above I can get a better resolution by creating vector images. Most of the ideas above are for layout consideration as well as colour. 



Lid is a bit too big. 




Correct size packaging. 
I created some nets for the box that the ipod would come in so I knew that they would work (or not) when it came to creating them on the mac. The first had a lid that was too big but only ever so slightly so I re-created it making the lid slightly shorter and this was perfect. Creating the nets also showed me wether or not the ipod would actually fit inside the box. 




Had holes in the bottom. 








I also made a net for the bag that the ipod would come in once it had been purchased. The first net had holes in the bottom of it which showed me I needed extra tabs to solve this problem and the second net worked a lot better once I had done this. I then decided to create a 'life size' bag as the first two were only small so that I could see exactly what I would need to create on the software and again, wether or not it was actually going to work. I created this bag in a square shape because I felt it didn't need to be that tall with the packaging for the ipod being relatively small but it need to be wide enough to fit it in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment