Monday 9 January 2012

Silent movie; spin sequence one.

Once I was happy with my storyboards I began bringing them into after effects. 
Due to the fact I was just getting to grips with the software the placement of my keyframes is intially quite simplistic so that I show a basic movement. This sequence has come from the storyboards I designed that have been seen previously on my blog. 

I created my artwork for this using photoshop so that I could colour the middle of the 'p' in pink. When I initially imported it into after effects it had this white background and I couldn't work out why this had happened to start with but when I went back to my notes from the software workshop I realised that it was because I hadn't saved the file as a PSD. 

Once I had saved the file as a PSD the white background dissapeared so it was now transparent and I could use a background through the after effects options. 



I just wanted this sequence to spin on a basic axsis but in my first attempt it went round slowly and toward the end got really fast. When I started playing around with the keyframes I realised that this was because instead of having a keyframe where the rotation began and one where it ended, I had one in between too which was not really needed and somehow added this extra speed to the sequence. 



Once I deleted this intial rotation sequence of keyframes and just made it so the sequence had two, the rotation from start to finish was a lot smoother and gave the exact effect I was looking for. 



I also looked at expanding the text so that it touched the sides of the frame as it went round. Although this is not a huge difference I feel this maybe works a little better because it shows that i've been a little more experimental with the framing of the imagery and reflects my storyboards better in terms of how I looked at framing within them. 


To make my sequence do such a simple thing didn't really seem to take long but it helped me understand the software better because I started to experiment with how you can make things go slower and faster and also that sometimes you don't need so many keyframes to make something complete a journey. This was an example of the fact I could make rotation work within after effects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment