Wednesday 25 January 2012

Top 10 things; storyboards of ideas.


I created storyboards of all my ideas which I could then develop further and take into after effects to make up my sequences, these storyboards consist of ones for my main 60 second sequence and also ones  for the four idents I have to create too.


The intial storyboards are the ones seen on the first and second page of the issuu document. The storyboards that include colour are those that I began experimenting with for ideas for my 60 second sequence. Some of these storyboards only include key parts of the composition rather than gradual movement and how this would work. The reason I decided to use black, blue and red was because whilst i'd been researching film trailers and title sequences i'd seen that a lot of sequences that related to superhero films used quite dark colours to create mystery and danger because generally where a superhero is, danger is too. I began trying the idea that was suggested in a crit where a search light looks for each superhero until it has found it and how the colours could work around this wether they be within the search light or they be the background. Due to the fact this idea was quite simple and plain to storyboard it began to make me wonder how this would work in after effects and wether it would keep an audience interested. I also began looking at the sort of movement I could have happening within the idents and the idea that i'd select certain superheroes which I felt would create the most interesting sequence. I hadn't however, started to consider colour within this.


On the second and third page of the issue document I then started looking at the colours that are present with the superheroes costumes and logos after more advice given in the second crit about experimenting more with colour. I prefer the second set of colour scheme experimentation because it has a greater range of colour and best represents each superhero. I feel using the colour schemes from the logos and costumes of each superhero is a positive choice because it looks a lot more visually interesting than my intial storyboards and if the silohette isn't so distinguishable it can help the audience make a decision about the superhero present on screen. Having a greater range of colour will make my overall sequence be a lot more interesting visually.


On the fourth and fifth page of the issuu document is a further storyboard for the 60 second sequence. This storyboard is incomplete because I began creating it quite detailed showing all significant changes and how things would move along and then this slipped away and I was just showing how the superheroes and logos would come into the frame. I though that instead of making a linear storyboard and then having to go back and make a detailed one, I would start again and just make a detailed one because then I knew exactly how I wanted things to look/move. I also hadn't really coloured this because I thought people could refer to the imagery I created earlier but then realised that storyboards are most effective when they completely communicate in every way possible and colour is a massive part of this. If I added the colour properly it means I would have no confusion when I was looking over the storyboards whilst creating my sequences. 


When it came to storyboarding my idents I noticed that depending on how much movement was occuring and how complicated they were, some had more frames than others. There was however an equal balance because I had two with more and two with less so I was quite happy with this. The storyboards clearly communicate what I would like to occur in them because I have included arrows that show direction and annotation to explain what is happening at certain points. I decided to choose the superheroes present in these storyboards because they are well known and I knew I could create some interesting sequences based on the abilities they have such as flying. In each storyboard I have changed the E4 logo to suit the colours of the superheroes logo because this makes a direction link between the two but because this logo is so distinguished it can still be linked to its channel. I thought the purple E4 logo might be too much for some of the colours i've chosen as backgrounds and wouldn't really work.  Although my ideas on paper here are quite clear, I feel as though they may change ever so slightly once they are taken into after effects because when your actually working with the software you get a greater understanding of speed and how fast you want things to happen so certain elements may be added or taken away. Theres also the idea that just because it looks like it will work here, will it actually work in after effects when I begin experimenting and will the ideas be too complicated to be completed in the time frame ive been given because they may mean learning a new skill. All these ident storyboards will be taken into after effects to be made into sequences. 


The 60 second sequence storyboard has similar characteristics to that of the idents in terms of colour and the fact i'm still using these superhero sillohettes. The only significant difference is the fact i'm using the logo for each superhero as they come into the frame. The reason i've decided to use all the superheroes in the final sequence is so that the audience have some idea of what the programme includes as title sequences tend to hint at what the content of a programme or film is. I've made it so that the imagery counts down from 10 to 2 but misses out 1 so that you have to watch the show to find out who number 1 is hense the frame 'who came out on top?' because I feel this would encourage people to watch the show.  Compared to the other 60 second storyboards, I feel that these communicate a lot better because you know exactly what is happening from start to finish with the help of arrows and annotation, you know exactly what colours are going to be used and the general direction of things. Having detailed storyboards will definitely be a lot easier when it comes to enterpretating these ideas into after effects. As with the idents, the ideas may change slightly as there is still room for development with after effects itself because things might not work as well as i'd have pictured. 






No comments:

Post a Comment