Wednesday 21 November 2012

Illustrative type; digital development of Harry Potter typeface.

I scanned my hand rendered version of the typeface in and then took it into illustrator where I live traced it. I feel live trace has worked well because I'd ideally like all my typefaces to have a very hand rendered look about them because it's a factor that makes the concept unique. I then added all the stars induvidually to each letter depending on where I felt it looked best, I've tried to place the stars differently too to make the typeface more visually interesting. 










Due to the typeface being based on the wand that Harry Potter uses I then explored a few different browns in order to choose one that I felt was strongest and looked best. I think if it's too light it doesn't look as much like wood but then if it's too dark it makes the texture i've added really hard to see. The last brown in these examples is my favourite because I feel this is the happy medium. 


This is a close up of one of the letters with this colour applied and I feel the texture and colour together make it look really realistic. I've also chosen this gold/yellow colour for the stars because they are supposed to be a really positive factor and this is a positive colour. This also compliments the brown really well so overall i'm pleased with this result. 
Closer view of a collection of the letters so you are able to see that the concept works across a range and not just the one. Also gives an idea of where I have placed the stars throughout the typeface in order to mix it up. 

Full complete digital typeface
I'm really pleased with this result because it looks so realistic to a wooden texture and although the concept overall is very simple I think this is why it communicates well. The great thing about this typeface is that its neither femanine nor masculine too so means that when applied to products it'll cover the areas that I want it to. I've gone for capital letters with this typeface because it meant that the detail could be much more visable and when it is applied to products it's going to be a lot easier to read. Due it to being quite a pleasent typeface, I don't think it's going to seem 'shouty' at all which sometimes capital letters can do. 

 I printed the typeface out to see if the detail still had the same impact and to make sure the colour choices were ok. I'm really happy that the typeface still communicates as well in print. 












No comments:

Post a Comment