Thursday 22 November 2012

Illustrative type; digital development of Monsters inc typeface.

The Monsters Inc typeface was probably the most straight forward of all. Once I had the hand rendered version, I took it into illustrator and live traced it. I then took the colour from the two characters the the letters are supposed to represent to keep this as close to them as possible because it was really important the colour was correct for it to be more recognisable. 

Close up of each of the different styles of letter
The close up really shows off the line work and I like the way this has come out because I think this hand rendered look links back to the target audience being younger so the style itself is almost childlike and quite fun really. The fact they are quite flat in terms of texture making them simple is also good because it means the colour is doing most of the talking and this is what gets the concept across most I feel. 

Close up to see how the style has worked across more of the letters
With the letters that have two counters, I have placed two eyes but I feel that this doesn't cause any confusion because more of the letters have one counter and also the audience will have already figured out the film from the blue and purple characters. Although the visuals are important, it's important the letters still look like they are supposed to. I've mixed up the purple areas on all of the other letters too because I felt if they were all the same it would be quite boring so this is much more visually interesting. This style almost makes them look like they are furry too. 

Final digital typeface 
Overall i'm really pleased with this result. The colours look really bright and bold and compliment each other well even though they are quite different. I think the fact the colour difference works so well is becasue there are quite a few of the green letters rather than just one or two so it makes more sense. I feel this really suits it's target audience too so has definitely met the brief. Again, i've gone for capital letters because it gave more room for illustrative areas within the letters. I think this really suits the film though because the film is about monsters so needs to be quite bold and big like the characters i've represented. 

I printed out the digital typeface to see if the colours still have the same impact and definitely feel as though this works on print too as well as screen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment