Wednesday 14 November 2012

The Wind in the Willows; bunting.

This is the bunting I was inspired to create via some research I did. I wanted the design to be quite fun to really appeal to the target audience but at the same time I wanted it to be simplistic because everything else I have designed so far is. 

I decided to use colours already exisiting within my designs so the blue came from the bookcover background and the purple came from mr toads coat colouring from the character I designed. The most effective way to place the character is seen above because this means they don't have to be really small but at the same time not too large either. My initial thought was to apply a watercolour background to the bunting as I have done this with most other elements of this project so far but I feel this washes the characters out a bit too much and simple background design is probably going to be far better. 


These are examples of the characters and the font on the simple plain background. This is so much better because the colours used within the characters is a lot stronger and the overall clean cut look of the design is perfect because it really suits the target audience, children aren't going to be after anything particularly fancy. The way i've laid the characters out can also be applied to the text, just the same way it has come off the bookcover because this layout makes it clear to read and also means it can be relatively large so doesn't get lost within the triangle. I've decided to place the tree behind this too because if it was behind every single character this might become a bit too much and take the focus away from them. 

I tried place each colour of background behind the other on alternate sections of the bunting but the purple behind the blue doesn't work at all as it comes out really dark and makes it considerably harder to read the text with opacity being applied to each section. 



I applied alternate background colours to all of the characters and the text and feel this looks really good. Theres no need to have more colours than just the two because these two link to elements of the imagery colours and compliment the characters well when each is placed on top. These colours also make the design target both a male and female audience which wasn't something i'd originally considered, it was a welcomed accident really!

This is what the bunting would look like put together. The text always needs to be in the middle because the eye is more drawn to this area with the content seeming larger. It also gives balance to the overall design by having two characters at either side, it doesn't really matter which order these are placed in either. I feel that because this is so simplistic it works really well and the imagery really speaks for itself to make the design look visually interesting and engaging. 


No comments:

Post a Comment