Saturday 10 November 2012

The Wind in the Willows; typeface development.



Out of the typefaces I found on dafont I decided to place each above my imagery to see what would work best because the two have to compliment each other in order for the overall cover to work. The top one is definitely my favourite because it's quite traditional which suits the story as it is too but at the same time it has a modern twist on it. I like the way each letter at the beginning of a word falls slightly below the line of the others, this is a nice touch and adds a bit of style overall. 

I then traced this by hand so it could have the same hand rendered style as the rest of my illustrations.

I placed the traced version above the characters again to see if this looked ok and it seems to work really well and fit in with the characters. 

This is my favourite style and colour of font from all the ones I created below. I feel this compliments the colours used within the characters really well and also links to the idea that the mouse likes to boat on the water and they spend a lot of time down at the lake. I've applied the same texture to the font as the characters so they all work together and think that because it's all quite subtle, it works really well. 

I took the hand rendered typeface and filled this with colour and then created it with a diverse range of colours so I had a choice of what to use. I feel that pinks/reds might be too overpowering for the imagery colours used and also femanine so this is something to consider.

This is an example (on the right) of the font without the texture applied and I feel it is nowhere near as strong and looks quite bland. 



No comments:

Post a Comment